chasing the sun

the continuing search for the unattainable

4:55 PM

dangling

Posted by jenn |

I wore dangly earrings today and my shirt has some little iridescent sparklies on it. Though I work in an office where slacks and solid-colored sweaters are the norm, I decided that I am still young enough to show a little flair in my dress…a sparkle here, a little lace there…and not be inappropriate. Besides, it’s cloudy, gloomy weather outside and the sound my earrings make when I turn my head makes me giggle.

And I am falling in love with this blog again. I’ve been reading through some of my older posts. It’s like reading my journal from the past two years. I am always surprised at what I find there and to find that, in most cases, I am still asking the same questions. Though, I have to say, that I think I was smarter when I was in grad school. Now that I’ve graduated, my thoughts are whinier and less theological.

On a heavier note, the employees of the non profit of which I am a part (
www.africarevolution.org) had a long ass meeting last night. We really got in each other’s faces about some things, which is good, but always hard. Thankfully, we are friends first. But I am in a quandary now, not about the non profit, but about what to do about the fact that we have no money and that it really is starting to seem like people just don’t care about AIDS, poverty or Africa. No, I take that back, not “people”…I should say “Christians.”

For many of you who will read this, you are the proverbial choir and are well educated about these issues. But Africa is so trendy now, you know? For all the Madonna’s, Oprah’s, and Brangelina’s out there, this is just another cause they can add to their lists of philanthropic good deeds that will secure their place in the Pop Culture History Books, but not much else. Still, I’m glad these movie and music and Microsoft stars are using their fame for good. At least they’re doing something.

Maybe it is that the problem is so big and impersonal that Christians can’t get their brains or pocket books around it. Maybe it is that Africa and South East Asia are so foreign and far removed from our day-to-day.

What discourages me most is that American Christians, by and large, don’t tend to see the relevance and importance of acting NOW, with vigor and passion, to respond to these problems. God has given us an amazing opportunity, particularly in Africa, to make a difference. We can’t ignore how small the world is getting and how many people need our help.

We can’t just stand around waiting.


Can we?

0 comments:

Subscribe